Sunday, January 4, 2009

20/20



Photo of me in labor, about half way through.


Anyone watch 20/20 on friday night? Usually 20/20 is not on my tv radar, but I had two emails reminding me to tune it to the show all about birthing, nursing and surrogate mothers. Having giving birth at home I am always game to check out other women who are doing the same and sympathize. My birth according to my midwife was "normal". 29 hours after my first contraction I pushed M. out. That included 3 1/2 hours of pushing. Not all of my birth experience is clear in my memory, but one part is; the part right after I pushed out M. and said really loudly "I am never doing that again, ever." I prepared for my birthing moment by regular bikram yoga 2-3 times a week and becoming a hypnobirthing student. Everyday I did my rainbow relaxation, teaching my body to become relaxed so I could deal with childbirth, perhaps even enjoy labor. I chuckle writing that last sentence. I should have known that very early on in labor when my sister walked me to the outhouse to pee in the dark and I told her "I just want this to be over" while most likely only 2 cm. dialated I was in trouble. I did not have a pain free, magical birth. Hypnotherapy did not work, and it is the closest to death I have ever been. So when I saw the segment on 20/20 of women having orgasmic births I sat on the couch and stared in disbelief at the tv screen. With my mouth hanging open. Trying not to think mean thoughts about them. But I did.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

you just shot to the top of my "most badass folks" list. God lord, that's a loooong time to be birthing a baby-- no wonder you would close that chapter. Orgasmic births-- hmmm..... maybe their other orgasms were really lame????

Becky said...

Jessica, I saw that episode of 20/20 and I had the same reaction! Although I didn't have the same type of experience you did I still couldn't believe what I saw on that show. I scoff at those women with their unbelievable tales...

Raquel said...

I have read articles about women who claim to have had painless, "orgasmic" births. I was unsure until I spoke with my mother, who laughed derisively at the very idea. You see, she had me and 2 of my 3 sisters 100% naturally, and the very suggestion that the pain of birth could be transformed into anything other than the "agony of life affirmation" is completely unfathomable to her. She's convinced they're lying to be on tv.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails