Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lime Cumin Greens with Apricots



Lunch today:

1 large bag of greens (they filled up the salad spinner) torn into 3 inch pieces (chard, kale, spinach etc)
1 heaping cup of fresh apricots roughly cut
1 onion roughly cut
1 tbls honey
1/4 cup white wine
1 tbls butter
1/2 cup walnuts crumbled
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 scant tsp. cumin seeds
salt
juice of one lime
evoo

Wash and spin the greens. Set aside
In a pot, a couple of glugs of olive oil. Add onions, apricots and spices. Sautee for 5 minutes and then add the white wine and lime juice. Sautee on med. high heat for another 3 minutes and then add the butter and honey. When the apricots have started to fall apart and the juices are reduced, add the greens and sautee for another 8 minutes, or until their released juices have thickened and the greens are wilted. Add walnuts and combine.
I love the sweet, lime and cumin together. The tart of the apricots lends very well to the lime flavor and the cumin. It took me less than 15 min. to prepare.

4 comments:

Nushma said...

yumm..the name of this recipe drew me toward it. It really seems to have a very nice flavor profile. will try it soon, and let you know how I like it :)
Btw, I am Gayatri, and I followed a link from Heidi's page to be here. :)

Jane said...

Hi Jessica!
I also followed a link from Heidi's page, and was drawn by the name of this recipe!
Your recipes all sound great - so glad you said hi to Heidi!
I love kale, and have been using it in green smoothies this week. I'm keen to try your recipe kale pesto.
Your beautiful five year old will grow even more beautiful, especially with the benefit of a waldorf education.

Cheers, Jane

Anonymous said...

Just tried these Lime Cumin Greens with Apricots. They are out of this world good. A really great mix of flavors! I only had dried apricot but these seem to work fine -- just need to add a little more wine to get them to break down. I put them on top of a bed of mixed grains.

Jessica said...

really sweet you all are here, reading and commenting. Warms my heart you like the flavors profiles and like what you are eating. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails