Elderberry Extract also know as Sambucus nigra if you would like to get technical about things. The berries have been used to make jelly and wine for centuries. Lucky for us, elderberry has also been used as a medicine for about that long too. Safe for children and adults alike and widely available. The bottom line with Elderberry extract is that it works with the flu, but you have to use it the right way. A study done in 1995 and 2004 both showed no side effects and the shortening of symptoms by 4 days! Elderberry seems to work by lessening the viral load thereby giving your immune system more efficient fighting the virus. This especially seems relevant since the CDC released a warning of giving cold and flu medications to children under the age of two.
1. take it as soon you start feeling unwell but not before
2. if you do it lessens the duration and severity of influenza A and B about 4 days
3. it is not a preventive, so it primary effectiveness starts once you are feeling ill
4. adults 2 teaspoons every 4 hours
5. children 1 teaspoon every 4 hours
Another remedy for you to file away in your library. This weekend I will cover more homeopathic remedies for the flu.....