Thursday, November 12, 2009

Coconut and Almond Flour Cookies


I bought almond and coconut flour this week. I made pear frangipane this week and thought to try a gluten/flour/grain free cookie made without refined sugar. I just started mixing around and came up with these little cookies. Perfect sweetness, moistness and they smell wonderful. I ate two right away and put the rest away for later!

I used coconut oil because it is very stable and it is high in MCFA (medium chain fatty acids) which is unlike the majority of the fats in our diets that are LCFA (long chain fatty acids). Coconut oil is also comprised of 66% MCT (medium chain triglycerides) which are absorbed in the GI tract instead of the lymphatic systems like most fats. They also do not require bile salts to be broken down or require energy for absorption. MCT have gained a bit of popularity in the last 10 years or so because it has been thought that they burn fat and can promote weight loss. One of the FA (fatty acids) in MCT is caprylic acid, which can be effective at controling candida albicans in the gut. But, what is known is that a MCT rich diet lowers triglycerides and LDL's, both problematic when too high in the body.
Well, enough of the science lesson! Here is the recipe....

Coconut and Almond Flour Cookies

1 cup almond flour (Bobs Red Mill)
3/4 cup coconut flour (Bobs Red Mill)
1/8 cup melted raw coconut oil
1 egg
1 cup maple syrup
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder

Wisk the egg with salt, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract
Pour coconut oil over almond flour and mix. Add coconut flour, baking powder and mix.
Then add the egg mixture and mix. I mixed with my hands.
On a silpat or parchment paper, form 2-3 inch balls and flatten with the palm of your hand.
Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes. They will start to brown around the edges.

Pour melted coconut oil into

13 comments:

Becky said...

Oh seriously, your posts are like gifts. My gluten free baking hasn't been so hot. I'll be making these for sure, because you can't substitute for a good cookie!

heather said...

Lovin' the science lesson! What can I do to substitute for eggs? Lots of times I use coconut oil as substitution...what about doubling up on it? hmm...
Have I told you lately how amazing you are?!! :)

cheri said...

How do you copy your recipes?

Jessica said...

Cheri..I would love to answer your question, but don't know what you mean when you say "copy"...do you mean create them, or write them down or a specific publishing program? Thank you for visiting!

cheri said...

These cookies were divine. I was wondering how to print out the recipe since I didn't see a print icon.

LisaMB said...

Mine came our totally runny is coconut flour different than just putting some coconut in the food processor and calling it flour? Maybe that was the problem any suggestions? New to your blog but looks super fun to try out some new things. Thanks for posting

Jessica said...

Lisa
Yes, coconut flour is different. I buy Bob's Red Mill Coconut Flour and it has the texture of flour. Sorry that happened to your cookies! You can buy coconut flour online if your local natural grocery store does not carry it. Good Luck!

Rose said...

Jessica, This recipe is just what I have been looking for. If I were to substitute the Maple syrup with Coconut crystals (looks like brown sugar) what would would you guess the amount of the crystals to be?

Jessica said...

Rose
I would substitute one cup of coconut crystals...but I would add some moisture to make it the consistency of maple syrup just in case. I would guess water would work..just don't fill up the one cup all the way with crystals to leave room for coconut milk or water. Maple syrup is quite sweet so don't reduce the coconut crystals. Good luck! Tell me how it turns out :)

HLJIzme said...

I was wondering if you could confirm that the maple syrup is really supposed to be 1 cup? I followed your directions with almond meal and coconut flour, and it was like soup with a full cup of maple syrup in it - I basically had to double all the dry ingredients and add an egg to get it to a consistency that was roll-able.

Thanks!

Jessica said...

HL...I did use 1 cup. Hmm..wonder what happened? So, your dry ingredients were 1 3/4 cup total, plus then 1/8th cup coconut oil and then the one cup maple syrup? Mine was almost too dry of a consistency. I am searching for a typo in my recipe but I did not see one. Did the cookies turn out doubling the dry ingredients? Were they sweet enough?

HLJIzme said...

They were plenty sweet, actually quite delicious! However.....crumbly. Which is likely too much dry ingredients then. I kind of forgot how much the coconut flour tightens up....I posted my comment after I mixed, but before I put them on the pans...by the time I was done panning them, they were quite gloppy to get on the pan.

We LOVE the flavor, and will definitely be making them again; I may try to use just 3/4 cup of syrup and see how that works, since with the added flour I used, we thought the sweetness was fine.

Thank you!

Jessica said...

HJ..you could play around with them too...adding tahini would be really fun or rosemary or dried lavender!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails