Saturday, February 13, 2010

Famous Blogger Incident

So M and I went shopping today. We are in SF, it is raining, and we both are mall deprived, so I was totally game. Across the street from the mall is a my favorite shopping universe; Anthropologie. You all already know this about me. Five minutes into the Anthropologie shopping adventure we sit down so I can dig a piece of M's new Hello Kitty gum out of my purse. I happily oblige, since it will most likely buy me more time to look around. I look up from my task and recognize a famous blogger also shopping right in front of me. Hmmm....do I say something or not? I figure she must get recognized all the time. I have seen "famous" people so often in all the restaurants I have worked in, that I value their privacy over any need to bother them. Michael Jordan for example, could not even get through a meal without an interuption every 30 seconds from an adoring fan. That always bothered me. So, I have never approached a famous person. Today I broke my rule. I think it is because I am also a blogger, a recipe inventor and love food photography. I have a lot in common with this person, they just didn't know it! I also have M with me, so I figured that could make me appear less stalkerish.
In case you are wondering, it was Heidi Swanson from 101 Cookbooks. I have a link to her site on the right hand side of my blog page.
To make a long story short...she was incredibly articulate, pretty, friendly and just plain cool. She really was gracious with a stranger recognizing and approaching her. We talked about farmers markets, coffee, heirloom beans and the Ferry Builiding. I told her I was a nutritionist and  I really appreciate how much she is adding to the world by getting people excited to cook in a creative, healthy way. The only downfall to the conversation was of course, me being nervous. When I get nervous, I tend to talk to fill up any awkward moments. So, I spent the rest of yesterday worried that I talked to much, not letting her get a word in. Oh, that is painful to think about!
It was a highlight of my month. A kindred blogger, foodie, anthropologie loving soul. If we had talked for 5 more minutes I would have forced her to be my friend. But that would have been stalkerish, and I am not stalkerish...right? At least I did not whip out my camera phone and ask an Anthropologie employee to take our picture....

18 comments:

Tobi said...

Hi Jessica - half way through your post I KNEW it was 101 Cookbooks - I love that blog (yours too!). How awesome! What a great day! The pics of your daughter are just adorable -what a beautiful smile. Looking forward to seeing you this summer.-Tobi

Becky said...

So awesome! We don't have a lot of celebrity sightings here in the midwest, so that's just unbelievable! I can't believe that you actually talked to her... you lucky duck!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Heidi who posted a link to your wonderful site and delighted to know about your great food too. What a wonderful community.

SallyBR said...

Well, I am happy you met her, because now I got to know your blog...

Very nice blog!

Veena said...

Your blog is wonderful- I can see how you and Heidi would make fast friends!

Claud said...

She is so cute...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. I have followed Heidi for a few years and now plan on reading your blog. Thank You!! Cooking and Photography...the best.
Connie

Jessica said...

Thank you everyone! It is really nice to share seaweed snacks with all of you. I love all your great feedback and positive comments!! A wonderful, inspiring, chance encounter with Heidi, who was very gracious and lovely!

Jaynel said...

Too funny...I just saw Heidi's blog ( as you know, Im a fan too ) and her post brought me to your blog...( very cool, by the way ). Love how you two had a chance meeting!....I too am a blogger, and would have broke the rule to say Hi....and most likely talked too much and worried about it forever. A gal thing, I think...no?

Cathy @ ShowFoodChef said...

So happy to find your blog (through Heidi's mention) and I would have done the exact same thing if I had seen her. I work in the entertainment biz in LA (along with blogging) and I never need to stop celebs, but a revered food blogger would be a different story. Love your recipes!

Jennifer Carden said...

Hi, my daughter cooks with me, it is what we are all about but I got her started by doing dishes! Funny you ran in tho Heidi, I am sure you will get all kinds of hits today!! I am in her Favorite Cookbooks section on her blog! Love your blog, fun, fun, fun !!!

Vince said...

Cool! I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Happy to have found your blog through you meeting her! Your recipes look delicious and snappy! Thanks for saying hi to Heidi!

Anonymous said...

jessica i am so glad all of these folks new to your blog will be able to experience the magic of something i am lucky enough to have tasted in your presence many times over, namely your cooking! your food creations are a reflection of your generous spirit, your creativity, and your inherently nurturing nature. here's to sharing the beauty of who you are with the world! i love you.

Andrea said...

I'm on Heidi's email list and didn't have time to read it right away, so saved the link. I was glad to see that she had actually linked your blog to hers. What a joy to see all these wonderful recipes (and pix too!) As Jaynel said...must be a gal thing! I'm so glad you had the nerve to say hi!

Linny said...

One more voice chiming in to say how happy I am that you introduced yourself to Heidi, because it means I was introduced to your blog! I made the garbanzo bean cakes with caper yogurt sauce last night and loved them - thank you!

Jessica said...

Linny! That is great you liked them. Did you use greek yogurt or regular yogurt?

Tracy said...

How cool! I just found your blog through Heidi's link. Beautiful pictures and I love the post about your 5 year old cooking. She's such a cutie!

Linny said...

Well, I'm currently living in Japan, and sadly I don't have access to greek yogurt, so I just settled for the thickest plain yogurt I could find, which still worked really well. (Incidentally, I only had garbanzo bean flour thanks to visiting friend from the States who stocked me up on a few hard-to-find items. Needless to say, I am looking forward to moving back Stateside next month and just roaming through a grocery store or two! :))

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails