Friday, February 19, 2010

Why do I cook?

Michael Ruhlman had a post on his blog today suggesting that fellow bloggers talk about why they cook. Here is my take, and I would love to hear yours!

I cook because:

It is my creative outlet

It grounds me when I am feeling stressed or unhappy

Eating great food is a wonderful, increasingly rare thing
I have a high standard of food quality, and hold myself to that standard

I get bored of food easily, so am constantly trying to reinvent the wheel (recipes)

Eating meals with friends is one of my favorite ways to spend time with people

I love the challenge

I think it develops integrity and mental skills I might not otherwise have

Preparing food from scratch is become more obsolete and I see it as a way of nourishing my soul, body and the world

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for these words. i used to love to cook...so much...but i have lost my interest. 3 meals for 3 kids every single day is feeling over the top. i hope i can find inspiration like yours, like i used to have, soon.

Becky said...

Ahhh, to have a passion. Lucky girl.

heather said...

I wish I loved to cook. I have definitely been more inspired...thanks to YOU!
:)

heather said...

oooooh and I totally get the getting bored of making the same things. J always tells me to pick a few things and "perfect" them so I have a repertoire...but, that's SOOOOOO borrrring!

The Rowdy Chowgirl said...

I've been mulling over the many reasons why I cook ever since Ruhlman posed the question...I think I'll have to write a blog post on this topic soon too. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

you make me wish i loved to cook! you make food sound like art.

Anonymous said...

Down to a T, you have captured my thoughts on the subject exactly. What better way to slow down, nourish the soul and the intellect, and enjoy time with friends and family. Amen!

Caffettiera said...

I just discovered your blog, and after reading those few words, I can totally relate with what you mean. That is exactly why I cook. Thanks for expressing it that clearly, it is sometimes good to remind us.

Tami said...

I love that all of us who simply must cook still have so many different, yet similar reasons for why we cook. I was also inspired to write my own ponderings on why I cook. Thanks for sharing your with us!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails