Friday, March 12, 2010

Miso Glazed Fennel



Fennel. Oh how I love fennel. The longer it cooks the more tender and sweet it becomes. Yesterday I baked fennel glazed with miso and orange zest. Today I used it again to add to a frisee salad. Frisee is curly endive from the chicory family. Frisee is bitter, and because it is so bitter, it is sometimes found mixed with other greens.  Our local coop started to carry Frisee a couple of weeks back from a local farm.  I have been pining for frisee for years now.  I am always drawn to bitter because when paired with a sweet element it becomes a match made in heaven. I am going to be making miso glazed fennel in a cooking class next month and wanted to refine the recipe I have had floating around in my head.


I think I paid $15 for this miso. I have been buying South River Miso for a couple of years now. It has a rich, complex flavor. I washed the frisse and tossed it with a small bit of olive oil and balsamic. The orange zest with the fennel and miso created a soft, rich, buttery consistency that paired well with the bitter frisee.


Miso Glazed Fennel

2 med/small fennel root or 1 large root
1 heaping tablespoon miso
zest of an orange
1 tsp. butter

Wash and slice fennel into medium thickness slices. Toss with the miso in a bowl and transfer to baking dish. Scatter butter on top of fennel and sprinkle with orange zest. Bake covered at 375 for 40 minutes.
Toss frisee with a very small bit of olive oil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. Top with 3 or 4 warm pieces of roasted fennel.

Tomorrow I am going post a dish I made last night I am really excited about...Cabbage leaves stuffed with sweet potatoes and mung beans!

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I started following your blog after your "famous blogger incident" and her little pitch about your site. I am always up for reading about great recipes and hearing about the Bay Area (I grew up there, but currently live in Phoenix - not the foodie capital of the world, but getting better). This fennel post looks amazing, as I have been trying to decide what to do with my CSA fennel, my miso, and of course the amazing citrus at this time of year. I am even more excited about your combination of three of my favorites - cabbage, mung beans, and sweet potatoes. I'm almost giddy. Thanks for the ideas!

Christina@Health Foodie said...

Gorgeous picture of the fennel! I love it too! So many people dislike it though. I also love it raw!

Anonymous said...

you are an amazing food photographer! you make vegetables look glamorous and beans look photogenic. may the pox descend on you swiftly and uneventfully!

chrispete said...

When your daughters are growing up you cannot help but wonder how they are going to turn out and where life will take them. As it turns out, I have been blessed with two wonderful children. I am very fortunate that I get to see both of them make their own way in the world. I would not have guessed that this one would have taken this path, but I am not surprised either. She is talented and obviously has an ability to share her experiences. Hopefully, you will forgive a proud Dad his ramblings about his two wonderful daughters.

Jessica said...

Thanks Dad, that is really sweet.
Rebecca..tell me how the fennel turns out if you try it. I will take photos today of the cabbage rolls!
No pox yet!!....

Andrea said...

To ChrisPete: my kids have only just recently left the nest, and I'm so curious where they'll be in 5-10 years. Hopefully I'll be as lucky as you have been. Congrats!

I too have started following this blog since the "famous blogger incident". What a joy!

I've always wanted to try fennel but have been a bit intimidated by it. But this recipe is so easy I feel encouraged. Can't wait to give it a try!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails