Monday, March 1, 2010

Roasted Broccoli with Saffron Lime Butter




I think having a child who really, really loves vegetables is the exception to the rule. Our brains are wired to be satiated from sugar and carbohydrates. That said, I am constantly creating new vegetable dishes that I hope my child and our friends children will eat and perhaps enjoy. One of my dream jobs would to be a natural foods lunch lady (sans the hair net). I get deep satisfaction when children will eat my food and deeper satisfaction knowing it is feeding their bodies well. My good friend told me that her pediatrician's office did a study and 75% of their patients are obese. They are performing cardiac profiles on high risk children and finding high cholesterol in three year olds.  Not an easy fix. I have an urge to invite the world over to my house for a broccoli sit-down. Just us, conversation and some very tasty, well prepared broccoli to change their minds about how children are destined to eat. I have very high hopes as you can see.

I have the pictures to prove it may very well work....

I had a plate newly roasted broccoli with saffron butter in the kitchen today.  They found it and ate the whole thing. Actually fought over the last pieces.  That is our friend there on the left. He is a good buddy of ours since he was born. These two like to make big messes in my house and laugh a lot together. They both really like to eat, which is a good scenario for me.
Well this is a very easy recipe and dare I say it is kid approved too?




Roasted Broccoli with Saffron Lime Butter

2 med. bunches broccoli stems cut off
1 tsp. olive oil
1 small pinch saffron
1 pinch salt
1 tbls butter
1 tbls olive oil
zest of a lime

Place broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with a tsp. of olive oil, or use a Misto sprayer and coat with olive oil. Roast in a 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until the edges are starting to brown. Remove from oven, transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
In a saucepan add saffron, olive oil and butter. After melting the  butter, add half of the lime's zest.  Let sit for about 10 minutes so the saffron can flavor the oils. Pour over the broccoli and toss. Taste for more salt. Zest the rest of the lime on top before serving.

14 comments:

windycityvegan said...

I'm also fortunate to have a vegetable-loving child. She's three years old and just had her first doughnut (baked, homemade, mini - so not too unhealthy, right?) and was annoyed that it was rolled in sugar. One of my parents was a nutritionist, which had a huge influence on my relationship with food, and informs how I introduce food to my own child. While I count myself lucky that her favorite bedtime snacks of late are baked sweet potato fries or steamed broccoli and hummus, I also know that part of that is because she hasn't been offered sweets or processed foods until recently, and only in small amounts. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes, I look forward to making this broccoli for my daughter!

Michelle said...

Found my way here from 101 Cookbooks. Great site, enjoyed the variety of recipes and can't wait to try a few of them right away. I have two "vegetable eating kids" in college now, and let me tell you, they are starving on campus. It's a real travesty what our kids are forced to endure in this fast food world. Good to know there are other mom's out there who care about what their kids eat.

Anonymous said...

yummy yum yum...i need some saffron and then i will be ready to go.
love you. love your site. x

Heidi Rega said...

I also found my way here from 101 Cookbooks :) I was a nanny for quite a while and know exactly what you mean. I used lime butter on broccoli and cilantro lime butter on corn and the kids loved it. Saffron Lime Butter? Now that sounds fantastic :)

SOEWNEARTH said...

Perhaps if you could start up a vegie garden in your local school and then introduce healthy cooking to deal with what is produced.

Becky said...

I've got one of each; one love, love, loves all veggies, and the other just tolerates what I put in front of him where veggies are concerned. Broccoli is one of the favorites though, so maybe we can bridge the gap with this one!

On another note, congrats on your shout out at 101 Cookbooks!!! So pleased your blog is getting some well earned attention.

Heidi said...

I can't get enough roasted broccoli! And I love the saffron lime butter idea Jessica.

Anonymous said...

yep, i'll testify, that roasted broccoli had all of the kids asking for more when you made it a while back!

Rajie said...

Hello! I am a new visitor to your site, via the inspiring and brilliant Heidi Swanson. I am a UK based food blogger...very new to the game! Your blog is inspiring, I love it, I think women like yourself are doing amazing things for food. I thought you would be inspired by this if you have not already seen it: http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

Enjoy!

Raj, from London.
http://meandmyappletree.blogspot.com/

Christina@Health Foodie said...

Hi, I am new to your blog and love your thoughts on food and cooking!

This recipe sounds so delicious. It is so true, a lot of times people do not like vegetables because they are not well prepared. It makes such a difference!

Thank you also for the lovely pictures of these gorgeous children! Loved it!

Cindy Rowland said...

Your blog looks fabulous. Clicked over from Hiediland. Will be making this broccoli in the near furture. Thanks!

Jessica said...

Rajie..watched the Jamie Oliver clip last night. It was stunning. Thank you! I sent the link to our local farm to school chapter..
Heidi..hee hee!
Windy City Vegan..loved your site. I am a previous chicago dweller and visit often to visit friends there! It is nice to know your parents nutrition roots had a positive influence on you. I wonder about how it affects my daughter sometimes...

the polish chick said...

frankly, i blame the media for north american children's attitudes towards vegetables. growing up in communist poland where tv's were few and far between and advertising was nonexistent, children liked vegetables because they weren't bombarded every second of the day with the idea that dinosaur shaped chicken nuggets and french fries were their food of choice. you see enough little ones grimacing at broccoli and you will join their ranks.

Cindy Rowland said...

I made this last night without the saffron and it was glorious. I was in a broccoli rut. Now I'm psyched to make roasted broccoli all the time as my whole family enjoyed it and it was so easy to prepare. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails