Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Sage and Feta



What do you think about Spaghetti Squash? I spied one last week at our local coop, and put it in my basket. Honestly I usually pass it up because I have found it to be a tad bit dull. Dull is not in my food vocabulary. It has been sitting on my counter waiting to be born into a delicious steamy plate of dinner. Today, while in Bikram yoga, I found myself mentally escaping while sweat was dripping in my eyes trying to hold triangle pose for what seemed like eternity.  I started thinking about something more enjoyable; recipes. The other night our friends were over for dinner and they brought some raw feta cheese for our salad. Then sage popped into my mind. Then came Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Sage and Feta. Somewhere after eagle pose but before camel it was decided.
By the way, I use a Nikon D3000. I have only used it for 2 months. Before that was a Canon point and shoot. I have no training at all taking pictures, and you most likely would find me swearing under my breath while trying to shoot plates of food.



Spaghetti Squash with Crispy Sage and Feta
 
4 servings

1 med. spaghetti squash
2-3 tbls. olive oil
pinch salt
20 fresh sage leaves
1 cup feta (I used sheep feta)

Very carefully, slice spaghetti squash longways. Scoop out seeds, and place flesh down on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until tender when you stick it with a knife.

To make the sage leaves, remove leaves from the stems. Put 2 tbls of olive oil in a bowl and drag each sage leaf through the olive oil, then using your fingers to remove excess oil. Arrange on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of salt. Bake in 375 degree oven for about 8 minutes. Start checking on them after 5 minutes because they crisp fast and burn easily. Their color will turn more grey and if you test one, it will be a bit crispy. They crisp up more after you remove them from the oven.
Drain sage leaves on a paper bag or a paper towel and let cool.

Take a fork and loosen the flesh which will resemble noodles. Scoop into mixing bowl and crumble feta on top. Mix with a fork just until blended.  Spoon onto a plate and top 4-5 sage leaves

11 comments:

Becky said...

I've always wondered what to do with the spaghetti squash. I mean, obviously I get it that it pulls apart to look like spaghetti, but I've never seen a recipe that looks even a little bit appealing. Inspiring, as usual. I'd do yoga all the time if I had such good ideas while in a difficult pose!!

Also, I wanted to tell you that I have a link to a post on tips for photographing food, I'll see if I can find it, maybe it'll help you out, not that you need it!

Caffettiera said...

This looks very appetizing! I personally hate spaghetti squash as much as I love squash in general, but this sounds so yummy, I might give it a try..

Nate said...

I saw somewhere you were learning about photography. Check out this guy's article about food lighting:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/06/food-photography-made-easy-lunch-box.html

Keep up the good work!

Jessica said...

Nate..thank you for the link! Caffettiera..I agree with you. Spaghetti squash is like an up hill climb. But I did bring it to my office today for lunch leftovers..a good sign. Tell me if it changes your mind about spaghetti squash. A sprinkle of parmesean or lemon zest might liven it up even more!

Kathleen said...

I adore spaghetti squash! This looks like a great way to prepare it! YUM

heather said...

Squash does not go over well in this family, but I did have success with the delicata recipe of yours! I might give it another go..but poor a. may not be up for it without the feta! ;)
Your photos are always good, btw.

The Rowdy Chowgirl said...

This sounds delicious. I often eat spaghetti squash with a marinara sauce and parmesan. I like the idea of a tangy feta.

I don't cut my spaghetti squash before I cook it-I just throw it in the oven whole and bake it until it's squashy, then deal with the cutting and scooping of seeds.

dreaminitvegan said...

I love spaghetti squash! I've been seeing crispy sage lately.

Seema Patel said...

Hi! Came here from Heidi's page (101 Cookbooks) and, love your recipes! Excited to try them. Thank goodness for the chance encounter at Anthropologie, btwn you two, haha! It has made a lot of the rest of the world happy.

Raquel said...

I tried this and now LOVE it!! I've had it twice now, and look forward to more treasures from your site here!

Jessica said...

raquel..feeling honored you tried it twice and liked it! thank you :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails