Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Vegan Coconut Chocolate Mousse


My daughter has been plagued by belly aches since August. I have been weening her off of gluten, but she is eight years old and is still learning the ropes. Dairy is next on the off list. I have been preparing myself for this by executing non-dairy, non-gluten foods. But going to the grocery store and finding coconut yogurt and finding stabilizers like guar gum and preservatives is off-putting. You know I love dishes with less than 5 ingredients in them!

Last night at the co-op I found dairy, nut and soy free chocolate chips by Enjoy Life. I am not allergic to soy, but silken tofu chocolate mouse is so overdone that I decided to try coconut milk. I had a feeling that the ratio of coconut milk (16oz full fat coconut milk with a 10z. bag of chips) might not set up like if I had used whipping cream. I melted the chips, whisked them into the coconut milk and refrigerated overnight. This morning it was soupy like I thought it may be. But I wondered if I whipped it like ganache if it would set up. It did! A lovely, light, perfectly chocolately and sweet mousse. I had researched coconut pudding/mousse and all of the recipes I found had cornstarch in them. I wanted to make this as allergy free as I could so omitted the corn and really don't like cornstarch as a thickener in general.  There is cane juice in the chocolate chips however. But you could substitute any high quality chocolate you like in this recipe finding the one that fits your lifestyle whether it be dairy free or not.

I am going to be focusing on gluten free recipes for all of you. Since I told you I have gone gluten free (I most likely carry the celiac gene) and am focusing on an low inflammation lifestyle, I will share what I make with you. Up next I am going to re-tool the cauliflower pizza crust recipe going around and add some almond flour to see what I can come up with.

Vegan Coconut Chocolate Mousse
makes a bit over 2 cups

1 can organic full fat coconut milk
1 10oz bag enjoy life chocolate chips

Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Whisk into coconut milk in a medium sized bowl. Cover and completely cool in fridge. Whisk with hand beater until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes)


3 comments:

windycityvegan said...

Oh, I can't wait to try this out. Every time I make chocolate mousse my husband eyes it warily and asks "is this a tofu one or an avocado one?" and then ends up not wanting to try it at all.

I, too, am avoiding stabilizers as much as possible. I've had a lot of luck with freshly ground psyllium husk, flax and chia seeds to thicken my own foods - but if you use eggs in your cooking, you probably won't need to go to such lengths!

P.S. Please, don't go overboard with besan in your gluten free recipes! It's something else I think is far too overused in allergen-free cooking. (imho)

~Monika

Jessica said...

Monika..the avocado and tofu part made me laugh out loud. I am with you about besan..it has too strong of a flavor.

rae said...

i made this once before and the girls were CRAZY about it. trying it again tonight for valentine's day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails